Saturday, October 3, 2026

Temptations Can Be Resisted

     

I knew better. I was aware that there was a risk involved. I thought I could be careful and avoid any negative consequences. I was wrong.

No, I am not confessing to some great moral failure. However, I did use poor judgment and had to deal with the result when it came to a recent situation I faced. It involved a temporary crown that the dentist had placed on one of my teeth while I waited to receive the more permanent version of that device. Meanwhile I knew I needed to be careful about what I ate. There were certain hard or sticky foods that were to be avoided. However, when someone gave me a jar of mixed chocolate, peanut butter candies, and cashews for my birthday, I found it hard to resist. I reasoned that I wouldn’t eat much – just a bite or two. Additionally, I could chew the cashews on the opposite side of my mouth from where the crown was located and be all right. I wasn’t. The crown became dislodged, and I ended up spending part of my birthday back at the dentist’s office.

We tend to act similarly when it comes to the more serious temptations we face in life – the ones that don’t just inconvenience us, but those that carry spiritual implications and that can affect our relationship with the Lord. In many cases, we recognize the temptation for what it is. We know better than to go that direction. We are aware that it could put us at risk of falling out of God’s favor. However, we don’t run from it as scripture encourages us to do. Paul told Timothy to “flee youthful lusts” (II Timothy 2:22). He encouraged other believers to “flee sexual immorality” (I Corinthians 6:18) and to “flee from idolatry” (I Corinthians 10:14). No matter what the temptation may be, we are opening a door to let it in when we don’t immediately turn away from it and run the other way.

Rather than flee, we sometimes try to reason with ourselves about why it might be acceptable to do this under our circumstances. Or we might deceive ourselves with the idea that we will just take a taste and not indulge any further in that activity. Or we might tell ourselves that we will be careful so as not to cross the line into anything that would be wrong or immoral. Or we sometimes assure ourselves that we are smart enough or strong enough to avoid any of the possible repercussions of participating in that behavior. Granted, sometimes we might be able to walk along that edge without falling off into something sinful or immoral. God might show us mercy and protect us from the actions resulting from our poor decisions. However, it is best not to even put ourselves in that position. It is better to resist the temptation, to go the other direction, and not even put ourselves at risk of taking a spiritual tumble.

Let’s not forget that temptations can be resisted – not in our own strength but with God’s help. “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it” (I Corinthians 10:13). Let’s not look for a way to indulge in that activity, rather let’s look for the way to escape. Run away from temptation, and instead run toward the God who can give you the guidance and strength you need to do what is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Temptations Can Be Resisted

       I knew better. I was aware that there was a risk involved. I thought I could be careful and avoid any negative consequences. I was wr...