Saturday, August 29, 2026

 

It Is by the Grace of God 


One day recently I was watching a news report about the aftermath of a tornado in another part of the country. A firefighter was being interviewed about the damage that the storm left behind. He commented that it was only “by the grace of luck” that no one was seriously injured or killed. I wasn’t sure I had heard his statement correctly. Did I misunderstand? Didn’t he say, “by the grace of God”? I was able to go back and listen to the interview again. No, I wasn’t mistaken. He had said exactly what I thought he did. He attributed the lack of casualties to “the grace of luck.”

Maybe it is just me, but I had not encountered that phrase before. What does it even mean? I understand that there are people who believe in the random force of luck. Instead of giving credit to God for His blessings, they point to people simply being lucky. But where does grace fit into the picture? Grace suggests a personal being who shows us favor that we don’t deserve. It is appropriate to talk about the grace of a gracious God. However, luck has nothing to do with grace. It just randomly occurs. It reminds me of how many are increasingly using another phrase these days as a substitute for God. They talk about “the universe” doing this or causing that. They choose to acknowledge some impersonal entity instead of admitting to the existence of God and of His activity in the world.

I believe we as human beings know in our hearts that there is something beyond us – a “Higher Power” of some kind. While many may choose to call it luck, fate, the universe, or some other name to designate this impersonal force at work in the world, I am grateful to know that the Creator and Sustainer of the universe is actually an intelligent being and a personal God. He is one who cares about us, who loves us, and is wanting what is best for us. He does show us grace or favor by blessing us in many ways. Some of those are common blessings that we all get to experience – the sunshine, the rain, breath in our lungs, and so much more. Others of us get to experience additional blessings from living a life in right relationship with Him. We have been saved by grace through putting our trust in Jesus as our Savior. And we experience His grace on a daily basis as He walks with us through life, guiding us, strengthening us, and being our constant companion.

So when something good takes place or we are spared from something harmful, it is appropriate to chalk it up to the grace of God. We don’t deserve it, but He blessed us anyway. That cannot be said about luck or any other impersonal force.

Maybe this is simply another indication of the direction much of our culture is trending. People are looking for something to give credit to or to place blame on, but they are steering away from God and going other directions. They are more willing to acknowledge something impersonal than to have to deal with the implications of a Creator who has revealed truth they don’t want to receive, a God who has standards of right and wrong, and a Heavenly Father who is calling for them to come back home to Him. They prefer to talk about luck rather than the gracious actions of God.

Let’s be thankful that the Power at work in our world today is not simply an uncaring force but a loving and gracious Father. Whatever good we experience, it is truly by the grace of God.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

  It Is by the Grace of God   One day recently I was watching a news report about the aftermath of a tornado in another part of the coun...